Story-Songs; Love ’em or hate ’em?
M U S I C M O N D A Y
When I was growing up there seemed to be an inordinate amount of songs that were written as stories and set to music. They were always fun to sing along to, although on close examination many were corny. I don’t think there are too many story-songs being written anymore? (Michael Cargill just thought to himself, “Yes, for good reason.”) Anyway, here’s my list of catchy songs from the past that tell a story.
As usual, feel free to add to the list if I forgot something.
- Cat’s in the Cradle – Harry Chapin
- The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald – Gordon Lightfoot
- Alone Again – Gilbert O’Sullivan
- Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves – Cher
- Ode to Billy Joe– Bobbie Gentry
- Bobby McGee – Janice Joplin
- Brandy – Looking Glass
- Lola – The Kinks
- She’s Leaving Home – The Beatles
- Hotel California– The Eagles
- Mr. Bo Jangles – Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
- Bad Bad Leroy Brown – Jim Croce
- One Tin Soldier – Coven
- Hurricane – Bob Dylan
- Fancy – Bobbie Gentry